Friday, June 20, 2008

Creating engagement, organizing against uranium mining

Published June 6, 2008

Hello GPNS members and interested readers,

The Chronicle Herald has an online comment section about the latest polling results published for Nova Scotia. To create some more awareness about our party and to advertise my leadership ambitions I posted a comment, and there were three responses. I just posted a reply and the process of citizen engagement is well in place. My first post is about fifty down from the top with my full name as the username. If elected leader there will be many different types of citizen engagement like this one to capture the attention of Nova Scotia citizens and then build off of that engagement.

As you will read Richard asked me about my position on uranium mining in Nova Scotia. I told him that I'm clearly against the idea of uranium mining in Nova Scotia.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/NovaScotia/1060146.html

Richard's question fits nicely into an idea I've been thinking of for a couple of weeks now.

If elected leader I would like to have the Greens organize a unified voice for all the people and small organizations across the province who are opposed to lifting the moratorium against uranium mining in Nova Scotia. This could be our summer focus to engage citizens. I have noticed that there are a lot of individuals and groups who are opposed to lifting the uranium ban but their voices are scattered. It would be pivotal for the GPNS for gather this support together and perhaps have it cumulate towards a unified rally late in the summer. With our unified support we could organize a free concert and have guest speakers take the stage, perhaps Elizabeth May might come and speak. We could make it a grand event while sending a clear message to Government. This is an example of how we the Greens could be the great facilitators and show how we can make things happen.

If anyone has any ideas about how we can build on this idea I would like to hear them.

Kind Regards,

Barton J Cutten
GPNS leadership candidate

No comments: